Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Anonymity

Last night at our text study somehow the issue of anonymity came up -- I think when we were talking about the disturbing responses posted anonymously on line about the article that Lauren sent out re: NOLA AVODAH. We were noting how vitriolic and nasty people can be when they are commenting anonymously, a trend that a lot of us have noticed. At Wesleyan, where I went to college, there is a terrible tradition called the Anonymous Confession Board (ACB) where people post often violent and hateful comments directed at individuals or groups - it is also used as a venting board for some people who have never heard of a journal before.. but anyway it's terrible. I'm not v. articulate but I object to anonymous posting because I think it just gives people this space to let out the worst of themselves with no responsibility or repercussions, even though what they write can be quite violent and oppressive to readers.

I just read this opinion piece from the Capital Times in Madison, WI (TWO links to Lauren in this post!) by Connie Shultz where she argues against anonymous posts and all that they signify. I thought it was worth sharing. My favorite point she makes:

Anonymous comments also alienate many thoughtful readers, who constitute the majority of people who read newspapers. When readers complain to me about ugly comments, I urge them to weigh in, but most balk. It's like trying to persuade your friends to visit a great tavern in a bad neighborhood; they want nothing to do with that side of town...

My concern is that readers will continue to despair that the worst anonymous comments represent a growing crowd in America. Yet reader response via e-mail and voice mail - and my daily interactions with people on Facebook and around the country - assures me that this is not true.

Most Americans believe civility matters.

They also believe it comes with a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment