Thursday, October 8, 2009

Eating Living Sukka-ing

Laura's post really got me thinking about how food is such a basic need but how it is also so crucial because it is so much a part of our socialization process. Growing, buying, cooking, and eating food together is totally bonding and group-forming/socializing. It seems like a really appropriate time to be thinking and reflecting on this also because of the holiday Sukkot which, other than traditionally being a harvest festival, also has commandments about spending time in the Sukka - a specific dwelling. I always loved Sukkot because it was a time where my family would come together to build and decorate our Sukka (full disclosure: I often complained about the process) and then spend entire evenings in it together. Instead of eating dinner and rushing off to our own lives for some reason at Sukkot we would spend hours outside together. Maybe it was the thought that the weather was changing and we'd soon not be able to spend time outside, or maybe it was the consequence of the enormous and delicious meals my mother would make in honor of the chag, but it felt special.

Recently the Wesleyan rabbi sent me this posting from the Jewish Museum's blog about Sukkot. He sent it out because it mentions (and links to an article about) the new Wesleyan Sukka which is the result of an architecture class's design! Thought it was worth sharing.

1 comment:

  1. Laura forwarded me to this blog of yours because the article she linked to in her post was one I sent her from the Baltimore CityPaper, and when I read this post it reminded me of yet another article (which I'd also sent to Laura):

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magazine/11food-rules-t.html?

    Enjoy,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete