Sunday, October 4, 2009

Let's Make Newsletter!

A friend of mine (went to Vassar, in NOLA AVODAH) sent the following letter out but I wanted to post it here for posterity's sake:
Hi New YOrk Avodahniks!

This is Michal, from Avodah New Orleans. I hope y'all are enjoying the Avodah program and your jobs and houses so far! I'm having an awesome time in New Orleans, as are all my housemates.

One thing I wish there could be more of in the Avodah program is cross-city communication. I think it would be really beneficial--and cool and interesting--for all of us if we could see what was going on in the other cities, from home life to city life, and from work life and Jewish life to news about the social justice sectors in each city. I've been thinking--and talking to Josh, the New Orleans program director, and Jevera, the national program director, and to my housemates and friends in other cities--about the possibility of starting up a newsletter.

In the beginning at least, the newsletter will probably no more than a pdf that we can send as an attachment through email.

I really want to get this on the ground by the end of October!

My vision is to have this newsletter be a medium for communication for Avodah participants in all 4 cities, but also as a way to connect the many and diverse communities that contribute to or are relevant to the Avodah program. This includes ourselves as corps members, but also our families, friends, co-workers, and supervisors, community organizers in the four cities, people who work in the "social justice" sector in the four cities, community members, members of the Jewish community, Avodah donors, and of course, the national Avodah staff.

How you can help me get this off the ground:
--send me stuff to include in the newsletter!!! I asked the New Orleans folks for about 3 articles from corps members, plus one from the program director. We're also going to include a recipe section, so send in all the recipes from the yummy food you have made for communal meals! Pictures are great too, and any interesting video clips. And be creative! Interview somebody you work with or somebody in the community and send that in. Or think of a new idea!
--send me email address of people you think would be interested in this newsletter!! As I mentioned above, I think it would be a great thing to have a solid, diverse audience for this newsletter. Send me all of YOUR email addresses, and those of your parents, families, friends, co-workers, neighbors, rabbis, etc., etc., etc. Spread the word!
--deadlines for the above 2 things are October 15th. PLEASE help me get this out by the end of the month!
--share this email with the above people! ask them if they want to get involved or write an article or publish an interview or send in photos!
--let me know if you want to get involved, help me out, be a liason for New York, have new/creative/interesting/innovative ideas, etc.

GREAT! Thanks for getting to the bottom of this email, I really appreciate it! I'm looking forward to working with y'all to create an AWESOME newsletter!

love,
MICHAL

Her email address is marielmichal@gmail.com if anyone is interested in contributing! Alison and Alana KK I know you definitely have some great recipes to include!!

No comments:

Post a Comment